Surfer Ngidi Msungubana has been killed by a shark at a South African beach infamous for being one of the world’s deadliest. I don’t know who in their right mind would dare to go in these dangerous waters, but he did and it has cost him his life. Check out the photos, details, and creepy theory on why this area has so many shark attacks… (WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT)
Find me on Twitter @nyboriqua117
Ngidi Msungubana, 25, died yesterday after being repeatedly bitten as he rode the waves off Second Beach in Port St Johns. Witnesses said he had wrestled with the shark for five minutes as the water turned red around him.
The incident was the sixth fatal shark attack in just five years at the beach, which lies beside the Indian Ocean in South Africa’s rural Eastern Cape province.
Officials described how Mr Msungubana fought with the shark before being dragged bleeding out of the water by a lifeguard. Provincial health spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said:
‘The man was surfing and was in water which was only around a meter and a half deep when the shark struck. Witnesses who were near him at the time said he wrestled with the shark for around five minutes as the water turned red. A fellow surfer then helped a lifeguard to get the man out of the sea and onto the beach. There happened to be a doctor on the beach who helped to treat the man at the scene, and an ambulance then arrived to take him to hospital. However the surfer had been bitten on both of his arms and his stomach and he sadly died on the way to the medical facility.’
Experts said it was believed Mr Msungubana was attacked by a bull shark, which hunt alone and are famously aggressive. Officials said it was the sixth fatal shark attack at Port St Johns’ Second Beach since 2007.
Local guesthouse owner and surfing expert Michael Gatcke said a team of specialists had been brought in to study the issue amid the spate of attacks. He said:
‘This is now the sixth attack here in the last five years and people are getting worried about their safety in the sea. I can remember the previous attacks clearly – a lifeguard died in 2007 and there were three attacks in 2009.
There was a fatal attack on a surfer on January 15, 2011, and then this one, exactly a year later.’
Michael Gatcke added:
‘Experts are now saying this is the world’s most dangerous beach for shark attacks and I can believe it. The frightening thing is that when you look at the statistics for attacks worldwide, usually only around one in six shark attacks in fatal. But here all of the attacks in the last five years have resulted in death. It makes you wonder whether the sharks are particularly aggressive, or whether there is some other factor that is causing this problem. Whatever the reason, I no longer surf or go into the water.
Officials today issued a fresh safety warning for bathers at the popular beach, which lies along a stretch of largely undeveloped coastline known as the Wild Coast. Meanwhile public safety chiefs have launched a probe into what caused the spate of attacks.
Mr Kupelo said one theory was that the sharks were attracted to the area to feed on the remains of animals slaughtered during traditional sacrifices. He said:
‘The local community continues in its tradition of slaughtering animals to mark auspicious occasions and for cultural events. Sometimes this is done by members of the church or community leaders on the beach or in the river which leads to the sea. It is now being thought that perhaps the offal and remains of the animals are attracting the sharks, which are coming in from the deep to feed. The latest attack is definitely not the first and we need to examine why this area is becoming so dangerous. Perhaps if the link to the traditional ceremonies is proven then the local municipality will need to take steps to prevent this practice.’
Last September Briton Michael Cohen, 47, lost his right leg and part of his left foot after being savaged by one of the beasts in the sea near Cape Town.